Thursday, May 17, 2012

"7 Things You Should know About Freshmen"

Dr. Tim Clydesdale, sociologist and author of "The First Year Out (Understanding American teens after high school)" Spoke at the National Collegiate Ministries Summit and gave me permission to share these observations of his about college freshmen. The observations are his, but some wording and summary is mine. 1. I'm really busy. Freshmen are overwhelmed managing their life and adjustment. 2. Money makes my world go round. 78% of freshmen say the #1 reason for attending college is to be "very well off financially." 3. College has made me smarter, but I don't remember much. 4. Deep thinking about myself and the world is a lot like eating broccoli. I know it is good for me, but I'm just not into that right now. 5. Still dare to reach me? -meet students where they are, -build from the scattered and incomplete biblical worldview and knowledge they possess, -respect students for the arbiters of knowledge they have become. 6. Some of us are different. Students tend to be Instrumentalists (college is just a vehicle to get me where I want to go) or Idealists. 7. The current I am in is strong...the current of American culture. Their identity/faith is in their personal lockbox which can only be opened by the owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment