Monday, March 4, 2013

A College Bible Study You Can Use, Improve or Ignore

I have a friend who is Campus Minister for a large and excellent ministry. He used to call me and say, "Could you send me the outline of your most recent talk?". One summer we were together in August prior to the start of school and he said, " Would you send me your outline for the 4 or 5 best talks you gave last year?". Each time I would email or hard mail him a copy of the detailed outline I spoke from. I have no idea how or if he used them. I do know that one time I had been invited to speak on another campus and He asked if I were going to give a talk I was often asked to do and he said he had already done a variation of it on that campus.

All of us struggle sometimes with our speaking....as a pastor friend of mine said one time, "I am getting ready to drive across the state to deliver a sermon I wouldn't walk across the street to hear.". We all struggle sometimes with what to say or how to say it. Sometimes, when I see what someone else has done with a scripture or a topic, I have a better idea or think that is a scripture or topic I want to work on. By the way, my friend does not call me anymore...don't know if he found a better source or what.

Starting today I am going to occasionally post a brief outline (not my detailed outline I used) that anyone who needs it can use it as is, improve on it or use it as an idea starter for your own. Two things you need to know about my talks, 1. They are all about the practical. And, 2. I like titles that might appeal to the student who is not super spiritual.

"Of Course YOU Are Weird!"

Intro: everybody is a little weird except you and me.....and I'm starting to wonder about you.". Unknown sage
-Discovering and being uniquely who God made youmto be and not a poor copy of someone else is one of the tasks of a college student.

Psalm 139:1-6, 14-16, 23-24

I. You are a special, valuable creation of God. "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made."
-something is more valuable that is not mass produced.
-Value also comes thru function.

II. God has laid out plans of worthwhile things for you to do. "all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
-How do you know the plans God has written into your life?
-Abilities
-Opportunities
-Affirmation
-Satisfaction

III. God Can Use and Grow Us in and Through the Difficult times. "Test me and know my anxious thoughts."
-Be honest with God and yourself.
-Learn from what is happening in hour life.

IV. Be Willing to Seek and Accept God's Forgiveness....and Change. "See if there is any offensive way in me."
-Everyone messes up...the question is, what do you do about it?
-Don't let guilt keep you from what God intends you to be.
-God also wants to use you to help other Believers who are stopped by guilt.

V. Following and Becoming What God Wants you to be is a Lifelong Process. "Lead me in the way everlasting."
-You never know it all.
-God has never spoken His final word to you.

PS. I don't post this cause it is sensational or cause I picked my best....it's just something that might be a starter for you when the well is dry!


No comments:

Post a Comment