Monday, November 18, 2013

What Do You Think Questions

I did a blog recently about doing interactive Bible studies with students and one of my suggestions was to ask simply, "What do you think?". A friend commented that in his experience that leads to students just speaking opinions on scripture that do not take in the totality of scripture, etc.

I agree....but....I think that is where you use your kind, loving reasonable voice and say, "Yes, I know many have that view of this scripture, but I take a little different viewpoint and here's why.....". Then, I say, "What do you think?". It's a dialogue and not a put down.

In my experience that is almost always taken well and the students respect that their friend has been respected and that two Christians can reasonably look at and talk through the meaning of scripture. They don't have to think exactly alike.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment