Monday, February 10, 2014

Walking the Campus Paths

Friday night I was in another state leading a collegiate training event for a church's Sunday School teachers. Before we started a man came up to me and said, "You don't recognize me do you?". He said, "I was a student at Arkansas State in the late 90's and away from the Lord. I had been to the BCM a couple of times. On a Wednesday morning about 7:30, I saw you out on campus putting up Lunch signs. You stopped and came over to talk to me and it made a huge impression on me.".

I don't remember that Wednesday morning encounter....he does and even points to it as a time of pointing him to the Lord. Two beliefs of mine that reinforces:

First, I believe we ought to be out on campus every day if possible and just walk some of the most traveled student paths. This happened right at a crosswalk by the Library on campus. That's why I went to the cafeteria once or twice a week....I believe God might use the "Bump Conversations" more that who I sat with. A "Bump" is when you just meet a student that you might never have the chance to have a spiritual conversation with, but you bump into them and you can pause for 30 seconds and say, "How you doing...good to see you!".

Second, this reminds me that we NEVER know all the ways God uses the little things we do and how it speaks into a student's life. Trust and believe that God is using you in more ways than you know.

Where do students walk by on your campus? Should you be standing there for 10 or 15 minutes a couple of times a week?

No comments:

Post a Comment