Friday, January 4, 2013

Confessions of a One Hour Reader

I had a horrible high school English teacher! She demanded that we speak correctly and that we had read every word of any book for which we did a report.

I don't know about you, but there are lots of books I think I SHOULD or OUGHT to read. I pile them on the corner of my desk and while they lay there, I read a book or books I want to read. At some point, I either force my way through them or in many cases get rid of those books....cause I don't have the time or will to wade all the way through them.

First Confession: I now give those books one hour. I scan through and read the parts that particularly interest me or I go through and find their main points to jot down. On each of my "one hour books", I keep a sheet of paper where I write down the main points or interesting quotes. Then, I stick that sheet in a folder I keep of my one hour books.

Second Confession: yesterday I did one of my "one hour books" and it was better than I thought, so I gave it two hours....might even give it 30 more minutes today..but that is all.

I find I am learning more than when I just let those books sit on the corner of my desk. I don't feel guilty anymore about not reading them.

Try it...you might benefit from it too.

Oh, just one thing, PLEASE don't tell Mrs. Jones. I still wouldn't want to disappoint her!

No comments:

Post a Comment