Monday, March 30, 2015

Least Favorite Things Guest Speakers or Personalities Have Said to Me

1. "I won't take the whole time". These are the ones that always go overtime....especially when time is tight.

2. "Don't worry; I can make this talk relevant". Yep; you know the rest of that story.

3. "Call me back in 6 months". For some years it has been my privilege to be part of planning a national event for College Ministers. We usually schedule our main speakers about a year in advance. Two different times a potential speaker we contacted said, "That sounds really interesting, but I'm only scheduling 6 months out now. So, call me back in 6 months". In 6 months that person says something like, "I've decided that's not the type event I'm going to focus my time on".

4. "I would love to be part of your ministry. I charge a thousand dollars a day". These are the speakers that
call you.

5. "I could never get peace about this talk". Then they speak....and you lose your peace.

6. "How much time do I have left"?

7. "I'm a preacher; if you wanted a speaker, you should have gone to Radio Shack".

8. "Has anyone ever told you that you look like Charles Stanley"?


My all time favorite thing a speaker said: When contacting a possible speaker, worship leader, etc, I always ask immediately, "Do you have a set fee"? When someone says no, I ask what's the least and most you have gotten for doing a similar event and then I can see where I might fit into that range. My favorite was a singer who said, "I've gotten from a sweatshirt to $1,000". Now that is a range I can fit into!

When paying a guest speaker, worship leader, etc, here are some things to remember.

1. Find out up front, if they have a set fee.

2. When inviting someone without knowing that, send them a letter or email stating the date, that you will provide any necessary housing if it's overnight, mileage (or a plane ticket) and what you will pay them. Even if you make the arrangements by phone, send them the basic information in written form.

3. Remember, there is a difference in people who have a "day job" and those who do it full time.



4. For those locally or in the area who do things for you and don't want or expect an honorarium, a gift card to a restaurant is usually well received. If you work for someone who does not allow gift cards to be given (I have.), take them out for a nice meal.

5. Send them a thank you note after the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment